Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has endorsed Professor Ibrahim Gambari as its new Chief of Staff.
The announcement was made Wednesday by Secretary of State for the Government of Nigeria Boss Mustapha ahead of the inauguration of the Executive Council at the Aso Rock villa in Abuja.
Prof Ibrahim Gambari, a well-known diplomat, replaces the late Mallam Abba Kyari, who died about a month after suffering from corona virus.
Prior to the appointment of Professor Gambari, the names that have been circulating in the Nigerian newspapers and banks are Babagana Kingibe, Adam Adamu, Hameed Ali and Kaduna state governor, Nasir el-Rufai.
Who is Professor Ibrahim Gambari?
- Prof Ibrahim Gambari is a distinguished lecturer and diplomat who holds prominent positions in the world, in Africa and in Nigeria.
- Ibrahim Gambari was born in 1944 in Ilorin, Kwara state in northern Nigeria.
- Gambari graduated from King’s College in Lagos. He did his first degree at the London School of Economics, finishing in 1968 with a degree in foreign affairs.
- He held his second and third degrees in 1970 and 1974 at Columbia University, New York, USA, in political science and foreign affairs.
- Professor Gambari then transferred to Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he taught from 1977 to 1980.
- Prof Ibrahim Gambari was the first person to be Secretary-General of the United Nations and did not give special consideration to the Secretary-General of the African Union,
- From 1984 to 1985, Ibrahim Gambari was Nigeria’s foreign minister.
- Ibrahim Gambari was again the ambassador and permanent representative of the United Nations in the United Nations in 1990 and 1999.
- In 1999, Gambari was chairman of the UNICEF Executive Committee.
- In 2012, Gambari led the UN-African Union Peace Mission in Darfur from 2010 to 2012.
- Gambari won South African President Jacob Zuma’s medal for non-citizens in 2012.
- Prof Ibrahim is the first University President of Kwara State in 2013.
- Ibrahim Gambari is the founder of the Savannah Center for Abuja.