Pneumonia is an acute or chronic inflammation of the lungs caused by viruses, bacteria or other microorganisms, or sometimes by physical or chemical irritants. Nigeria has so far recorded 1.5 million people who have contracted pneumonia. Pneumonia can affect one or both of the lungs. Thank God for the production of vaccines and drugs as this will prevent the further loss of lives for people that have contracted pneumonia.
What causes Pneumonia
Pneumonia is caused by either hospital acquired pneumonia or community acquired pneumonia. However, one gets it from the hospital through ventilators or in the community through the exposure to extreme cold weather, smoking and in some cases inherited from one’s parent.
Some of the symptoms experienced when contracting pneumonia includes running nose, severe cough, short breathing, body pains that includes the chest region, loss of energy, loss of weight and headache, loss of appetite, fever chills, sweating and to some extent vomiting.
How to treat Pneumonia
Pneumonia is a disease that can be cured permanently, as there are measures one need to take to avoid it reoccurring. One of the things to do is;
- avoid is to eating foods like fried dough or buns (puff-puff), cooked groundnut, and the consumption cold drinks.
- Also you have to quit smoking, if you are a smoker, as smoking affects the lungs.
- Ensure that you put on thick clothes like sweaters or puff jacket during cold weather.
- Avoid staying close to where palm oil is being bleached, if you are exposed to where palm oil is being bleached it will make you to have short breath and this is a problem.
- Stay away from smoke or dusty areas or better still wear a nose mask
- If you have pneumonia that is caused by bacteria, you can treat yourself by purchasing an anti-biotic drug called Cefuroxime Axetil 500mg and 250mg which in Nigeria currency could cost between N1,400-N2,500 based on the company and the efficacy of the drug here.
Note: One thing about people that have contracted pneumonia before, is that they usually have running nose during rainy season. I personally don’t understand why but it happens. Vaccines are usually given in the hospital in order to boost their immune system and protect them from things that might trigger it. They are also vulnerable to the recent epidemic (COVID-19) so it is also advisable to wear nose mask during this rainy season. Also, it is recommended to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables so as to boost the immune system.