Connect with us

News

Boko Haram attacks Gov. Zulum’s convoy, atleast 5 security personnel killed in the ambush

Friday’s attack, the second of its kind, is seen as a great concern for Borno’s security.
Earlier in July, Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum’s convoy narrowly escaped a terrorist attack in Baga.

Published

on

The convoy carrying Borno State government officials was attacked near Monguno town.

On Friday, Boko Haram terrorists ambushed the convoy and headed to Baga where Governor Babagana Zulum was scheduled to receive the returning IDPs.

Although the actual number of casualties is yet to be ascertained, sources said at least five members of the security forces may have died in the ambush.

However, it turned out that the victims included police and military personnel as well as an unknown number of civilians.

During the attack, armoured vehicles belonging to the police and government vehicles were reportedly stolen.

Earlier today, Governor Zulum flew an Air Force helicopter to Baga and prayed with the military on Friday.

On Saturday, the governor is expected to receive about 3,000 civilians from both Maiduguri and Monguno IDP camps.

The second attack on Governor Zulum’s convoy

Friday’s attack, the second of its kind, is seen as a great concern for Borno’s security.
Earlier in July, Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum’s convoy narrowly escaped a terrorist attack in Baga.

Governor Zulum left Maiduguri, the state capital in the northern part of the state while his food distribution programme continued, and a few kilometres from the town, armed men opened fire on the governor and his entourage.

Fearing the attack, Zulum stood up to the troops, expressing his frustration at the army’s inability to disperse Baga and the insurgents around him.

Zulum said, “You have been here for more than a year, 1,181 soldiers, and if you cannot capture Baga, that is less than five kilometers from your base, you must forget about Baga,” he said. I will tell the Chief of Army Staff to move the soldiers to other places where they will be useful.”

The governor alleged that there was sabotage in the system to keep the insurgency in the North-East from not ending.

He said there were elements trying to undermine the government’s efforts to end the insurgency, stressing that “President Buhari must know the truth.”

The military refuted Zulum’s allegations, saying the Governor’s theory was baseless. Major General Felix Omoigui, the Deputy Commander of Operation Lafia Dole on behalf of the Army, warned that such statements by Governor Zulum would demoralise the troops, adversely affect the operation and lose the confidence of the soldiers at the front line.

Abudulrasheed Mubarak is a freelance content creator. He starting his writing career in 2011. He is a graduate of Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi in Urban and Regional Planning.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *