Positive for the coronavirus and hospitalized since Friday, the American president said on Saturday evening that he was “much better” and would “be back soon” in the electoral campaign. If he admitted that the next few days represented “the real test” for him, his doctor wants to be cautious, saying that Donald Trump is “not yet out of the woods”.
Donald Trump, positive for Covid-19 and hospitalized since Friday , said, Saturday, October 3 in the evening, that he was “much better” and would “be back soon” in the electoral campaign.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 3, 2020
“I came here, I was not very well,” said the US president, seated at a table, in a jacket but without a tie, in a four-minute video posted on Twitter. “I feel a lot better now, we are working hard to get me to fully recover. I think I will be back soon and I can’t wait to finish the campaign as I started it.”
“Not yet out of the woods”, according to his doctor
“I’m starting to do well,” he said, adding: “We don’t know for the period of the next few days, I guess that’s the real test, so we’ll see what happens. over the next few days.”
A caution endorsed by his doctor, who then said that Donald Trump was “not yet out of the woods” but that the medical team was “cautiously optimistic”. “The condition of President Trump continues to evolve well, he has made substantial progress since the diagnosis,” said Dr. Sean Conley, in a bulletin released Saturday night.
— Kayleigh McEnany (@PressSec) October 4, 2020
Earlier today, the same doctor first responded, briefly and piecemeal, to reporters from Walter Reed Military Hospital in Bethesda, suburb of Washington.
“This morning, the president is doing very well,” he said . The 74-year-old US president suffered from fever, cough, mild congestion and fatigue, he said, but symptoms “are reducing and improving,” he said. He hadn’t had a fever for 24 hours, and his oxygen saturation level was 96%, which is normal.
Donald Trump is being treated with the antiviral drug remdesivir and also received an injection of the Regeneron company’s experimental treatment, synthetic antibodies. But ambiguous or contradictory statements have created a sense of cacophony within the executive in this uncertain time.
Shortly after the medical press conference, a source with knowledge of the state of health of the tenant of the White House gave, on condition of anonymity, a significantly more alarmist description to journalists. “The President’s vital signs over the past 24 hours have been very disturbing, and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of care. We still have not taken a clear path to recovery.” The New York Times then claimed that source was Presidential Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.
Did Donald Trump receive oxygen supplementation? Dr Conley only replied that this had not been the case on Saturday, Thursday, or since his hospitalization, remaining evasive when reporters asked him if he had received any at any time.
Media including the ABC channel then confirmed that the president had needed oxygenation on Friday at the White House before being hospitalized.
President Donald Trump’s chief of staff on Saturday evening told Fox News that his doctors had been “very concerned” about his condition, including a drop in oxygen levels, but that his condition had subsequently improved.
According to Mark Meadows, there has never been a risk that Donald Trump, hospitalized after testing positive for the coronavirus, would have to cede power.
Remarks which come following a series of contradictory information on the health of the president which created a climate of uncertainty on the situation of the American president.
As for the date of the president’s first positive test, the doctor stirred up trouble by evoking “72 hours” since the diagnosis, a duration inconsistent with previous statements, because it would have made the test go back to Wednesday, instead of Thursday as previously indicated. This forced the White House to quickly correct the doctor, saying he was talking about the third day, and then issue a new letter clarifying that the “first” diagnosis was Thursday night. But an important question remains unanswered: when and how was the manager infected?
Cluster at the White House?
“They relied too much on the tests,” laments the president of the Federation of American Scientists, Ali Nouri. “By not making masks and physical distancing compulsory, they created a false climate of trust in the White House,” continues the scientist. “I hope this will raise awareness among the president.”
Today, the electoral campaign is in turmoil. Donald Trump’s trips have been canceled, his campaign manager has also been affected, and uncertainty hangs over the next televised debates, in particular the one supposed to oppose the running mates of two candidates: Vice President Mike Pence and Democratic Senator Kamala Harris , Joe Biden’s running mate , Wednesday.
Donald Trump’s team announced on Saturday that the campaign would however continue “at full speed”, with trips from Mike Pence and the Trump sons after the number two debate. For his part, the head of American diplomacy Mike Pompeo will cut short his trip to Asia next week, by canceling his stops in Mongolia and South Korea, which were scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday.
The White House is linked to multiple contaminations. The list of infected Donald Trump relatives and close colleagues is growing. His wife Melania, his advisor Hope Hicks, his campaign manager Bill Stepien, three Republican senators, former councilor Kellyanne Conway, current councilor Chris Christie, not to mention three accredited journalists.
In view of the doubts surrounding the contamination of Donald Trump, we do not know if he was contagious during the debate against Joe Biden, last Tuesday evening in Cleveland . The two men spent 90 minutes on the same stage. Joe Biden, 77, was negative on Friday. He will be tested again on Sunday, he said on Saturday.