Connect with us

Crime

Gunmen shoot palace in Ondo, massacre two, monarch hospitalized

Published

on

Breaking news Tropics nigeria

It was collected that assailants shot a brother of the ruler who later died at the hospital while the driver of the traditional ruler was scorched inside the vehicle while trying to escape from the scene.

Gunmen suspected to be hired killers in the early hours of Friday invaded the palace of the traditional ruler of Isinigbo, Oba Samuel Fadahunsi, in Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, setting the palace ablaze, killing two people during the attack.

The Story Behind the Mask

The 100 years old monarch who was also said to be trapped in the inferno was rescued by the residents of the community and rushed to the hospital after chasing the gunmen away.

It was collected that two of the presumed gunmen who hailed from Kogi state were arrested by men of the 32 Artillery Brigade Owena cantonment.

The two suspects recognized as Fatai Ali aged 25 and Onu Adejo aged 27 had been handed over to the Ondo State Police for further investigation.

A Tropics Nigeria reporter within the neighborhood confirmed that the two suspects who were seen with live ammunition had confessed that they were employed to come to Ondo state from Kogi.

It will be recalled that the two communities of Ode and Isinigbo had been at war over a land conflict which led to the setting of the palace of the Ajagunode of Ode community, Oba Adewale Boboye, on fire last week.

Oba Boboye had to fled the community with his family by scaling the fence and relocated to a town within the state.

READ MORE  Again, Naira Falls Amid Dollar Shortage

According to Boboye, who traced the source of the crisis between the two communities to the court decision on his favour over the ownership of land between the two communities.

Oba Boboye said he secured a court judgment in 2017 that a large portion of land sold by Isinigbo belonged to him but had to settle for a peaceful solution by asking those who have developed their lands to pay N100,000 while those who have not to develop their lands to pay N150,000 which the parties agreed to, against the initial N600,000 he requested.

But the Secretary of Isinigbo neighborhood, Mr. Rotimi Adeleye, said there were threats of attacks on Isinigbo but said the people of the community never took it seriously until the gunmen invaded the community in the early hours of Friday.

Adeleye denied any agreement between the monarch of Ode and the people Isinigbo and expressed shock over the attack and killing of the two people.

He, however, said the traditional ruler of Isinigbo, Oba Fadahunsi was responding to treatment at an undisclosed hospital.

The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Mr. Tee -Leo Ikoro, who confirmed the incident, said two people were killed during the attack.

He confirmed that that the driver to the monarch was burnt by the gunmen while they shot one of the traditional ruler’s brother.

He, however, said some arrest had been made and the command had commenced an investigation into the matter.

The clash

Meanwhile, following the escalation of violent clashes between Ode and Isinigbo communities, the state government has imposed a 24-hour curfew on both communities with immediate effect.

READ MORE  Herdsmen: Governors Ortom, Mohammed Reconcile, Blame Nigerian Government

This was included in a statement issued and signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Mr. Donald Ojogo, who said the step was taken to douse the pressure in the two neighborhoods.

Ojogo stated in the statement that “Aside approving this action, Governor Rotimi Akeredolu, has equally ordered a tremendous manhunt for perpetrators of the despicable violence just as investigations are already on to unravel the real cause(s) of same.

“Concerning the curfew, security agencies have been directed to ensure total compliance with the order.

“For emphasis, both Ode and Isinigbo communities have been closed down for any unauthorized human movement and activity until further notice.”

Sponsored Post

157 Reads

Salihu Abdulsalam has been working with writing challenged clients for over four years. He provides ghost writing, coaching and ghost editing services. His educational background in family science and journalism has given him a broad base from which to approach many topics.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments