Authorities of the Bayelsa State Police Command have confirmed the death of a 300-level student of Petroleum and Gas Engineering at Federal University, Otuoke, who reportedly died from a drug overdose.
DAILY POST learnt that the 19-year-old, Job Alawari, popularly called Alas, was reported to have taken a drug known as Colos.
A statement issued to DAILY POST, on Tuesday, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Asinim Butswat, said: “On May 3, 2023, at about 2200 hours, one Job Alawari Kei, 19, a student of the Petroleum and Gas Engineering Department of Federal University Otuoke, slumped after intake of illicit substances. He was rushed to the hospital, where he was confirmed dead. The corpse has been deposited at the hospital for autopsy, while the investigation is ongoing.”
According to some students on campus, the drug known as Colos is mainly taken by youths involved in internet fraud, popularly known as Yahoo Yahoo.
The death of Alawari comes a few weeks after the death of a 200-level student of the same university, identified as Bright Akhere, 21, at a swimming pool located at the Renew Empire Hotel in Otuoke, Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State. This has triggered concerns over rising cases of students’ involvement in drugs and internet fraud.
Some of the students who spoke on the condition of anonymity told DAILY POST that most of the deaths recorded in the last six months were basically cases of drug overdose and internet fraud betrayal.
One of the students told DAILY POST: “We are worried. Even the girls now take drugs with reckless abandon. And the school authorities are not bothered because we stay off campus.”
A senior staff member of the school who didn’t want her name in print, however, averred that the management of the university has been sensitising them on the need to live responsibly and shun drug abuse and other vices.
“During the recent matriculation, they were admonished not to indulge in acts that will destroy their future and to take responsibility for their actions,” she stated.
She also added that the recent cases may be a result of their excitement about gaining admission into the university and their ignorant move with friends who misled them into indulgence in drug abuse.